Thursday, October 15, 2009

Amsterdam - accomodations for nights 1 & 2

the first two nights in the city, i stayed at a guesthaus - basically, someone just rents a room or two at their house for you to stay at. i already told a few of you the story, but for everyone else, somehow i booked a room above a gay coffee house in the gay district. i didn't want to change it though, nor did it bother me, because the location was very centrally located next to the city center and a bunch of attractions. it actually worked out pretty nice, because i caught quite a nasty cold my last day in berlin that i am still getting over and it was a nice quiet place to rest. as in most houses in amsterdam, it was a very tall, but very skinny house - you had to walk up a very narrow spiral staircase to the guestquarters. i had my own room & own bathroom (no one rented the other guest room). here are a few of the highlights of my humble abode:


downstairs coffeehaus, residences upstairs, my room was on "floor 2" (known in America as the 3rd floor)



windows to the street from my room



view of the street from my room



my bed, complete with creepy sexy man painting over bed (see detailed shot below)


i always made sure to wear a sleep mask, to both block the sunlight and to prevent waking up to this painting staring at me.


i even had a little flat panel TV with cable (some American shows) and DVD player with a stack of DVDs

The first two days in the city, I spent a few hours laying down in the room each day as I really couldn't get up enough energy to spend the whole day out as I had the previous 4 nights in Germany. I mainly stayed in the room drinking orange juice, and taking cold meds, trying to kick my cough, sore throat, and runny nose (better not be Swiner!). Buying the cold meds was pretty funny as I couldn't translate a single box or find a single brand I recognized, so I finally had to ask a local for help. Apparently when you have a cold, you take "retard capsules", either that or the girl tricked me (see below).



 I did manage to get up and out both days to walk the streets and even took a bike tour one morning (more about that in a separate to be written post). I am now on Day #3 of Amsterdam and I just moved into my new hostel "The Flying Pig Hostel - Downtown" - ranked the #1 Hostel in the Netherlands and one of the best of Europe. I think I am getting over my cold, good thing too, because I am about to leave the hostel for a drink or two...or ten.

-z!

No comments:

Post a Comment